How to make easy fruit-filled pastry. You can make your own pastry if you want to. The advantage is you can control the calories. You can use vegetable oil instead of the abundant amount of butter for the shortening and non-dairy milk.
Danish Pastry Apple Bars Recipe taken from http://www.midwestliving.com
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup cornflakes
- 8 -10 tart cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced (8 cups)
- 3/4-1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 -4 teaspoons milk
Directions of How to make easy fruit-filled pastry
- In a large bowl combine flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a liquid measuring cup, beat egg yolk lightly. Add enough milk to make 2/3 cup liquid. Stir well to combine. Stir milk mixture into flour mixture with a fork until combined (dough will be slightly sticky). Divide mixture in half.
- On a well-floured surface, roll half of the dough to a 17×12-inch rectangle. Fold dough crosswise into thirds. Transfer to a 15x10x1-inch baking pan and unfold dough, pressing to fit into the bottom and sides of the pan. Sprinkle with cornflakes. Top evenly with apples. In a small bowl combine granulated sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle mixture over apples. Roll remaining dough to a 15×10-inch rectangle. Fold dough crosswise into thirds. Place atop apples and unfold dough. Crimp edges or use the tines of a fork to seal. Cut slits in the top. Brush top with beaten egg white.
- Bake in a 375 degrees F oven for 50 minutes or until golden and apples are tender, covering with foil after the first 25 minutes of baking time to prevent overbrowning.
- In a small bowl combine powdered sugar and 2 to 3 teaspoons milk to make a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm bars. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Makes 32 bars
How to make easy fruit-filled pastry tags:
fruit filled pastry crossword clue, fruit filled pastry names, fruit filled pastry recipes, fruit filled pastry 4 letters, fruit filled pastry shells, fruit filled pastry j, fruit filled pastry cookies, fruit filled pastry austria, fruit filled pastry squares, fruit filled puff pastry recipes, fruit filled austrian pastry, fruit filled danish pastry recipes, fruit filled filo pastry, fruit filled puff pastry donuts, fruit filled breakfast pastry, fruit filled polish pastry,